A man who survived a mass shooting in Las Vegas last year was among those killed in Wednesday’s attack in California, his family says.
Telemachus Orfanos, 27, died alongside 11 others when a man opened fire at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, north-west of Los Angeles.
He escaped death last year when a gunman killed 58 people in Las Vegas.
A number of survivors of that shooting, the worst in modern US history, have said they were at the bar on Wednesday.
“My son was in Las Vegas with a lot of his friends and he came home. He didn’t come home last night,” his mother told ABC News.
“I don’t want prayers, I don’t want thoughts, I want gun control”, she said.
“It’s particularly ironic that after surviving the worst mass shooting in modern history, he went on to be killed in his hometown,” his father told the Ventura County Star.
Police have named the suspect in Wednesday’s attack as 28-year-old Ian David Long, a US Marine Corps veteran with suspected PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder).
He served in Afghanistan from November 2010 to June 2011, officials say, and was found dead at the scene.