Sri Lanka has revised down the death toll from Sunday’s blasts by more than 100, to “about 253”, the health ministry says.
It has blamed a calculation error.
Suicide bombers struck hotels and churches in the Colombo area and the eastern city of Batticaloa. Hundreds were injured, officials said.
Most of those killed were Sri Lankans, but dozens of foreigners were also casualties. Nine people are suspected of carrying out the attacks.
Police have continued carrying out raids and have issued photographs of seven people wanted in connection with the attacks.
The authorities blamed a local Islamist extremist group, National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ), soon after the blasts but say the bombers must have had outside help.
The Islamic State group said it was behind the attacks and published a video showing eight men but provided no evidence of direct involvement.
Sri Lankan Deputy Defence Minister Ruwan Wijewardene said morgues had provided inaccurate figures.
Another official, the head of health services, told Reuters news agency there had been so many body parts it was “difficult to give a precise figure”.
According to the health ministry, all autopsies had been completed late on Thursday and it transpired that some victims had been counted more than once.
The revised figure comes as the government is struggling to restore its credibility – amid criticism of its apparent failure to respond to intelligence warnings before the attacks.
It’s also battling to counter fake news and false rumours about the crisis, she says. This sudden dramatic revision is unlikely to help.