Uber, the world’s largest on-demand ride-sharing company, today celebrated its 2nd anniversary in the country by declaring Bangladesh to be the largest Moto market in the Uber universe. The two other largest Moto markets for Uber are India and Egypt.
With 100,000 driver partners and approximately 2,500 new weekly partner sign ups, Bangladesh is expected to contribute 25% of Uber’s growth in the region in 2019. Commenting on the occasion, Pradeep Parameswaran, President of India & South Asia, Uber said, “In our two years of operations here we have helped strengthen an already vibrant entrepreneurial culture by creating employment opportunities for driver partners and millions of magical rides for our loyal customers. We are equally proud of helping to transform Bangladesh’s existing transportation environment by cutting back travel time, reducing congestion and improving air quality. I’d like to thank the government of Bangladesh, our business partners, riders and driver partners for their support and want to reassure them that we will continue to strive for excellence and growth in this very important market.”
Congratulating Uber and all its employees in Bangladesh on their second anniversary in the country, brand ambassador Shakib Al Hasan said, “From taking Uber’s first ride in the country to recently becoming their brand ambassador, I’ve been impressed by Uber’s commitment to the country and privileged to witness how its technology is empowering our youth, providing livelihood opportunities and creating mobility solutions. I’m confident Uber will continue to win the hearts and minds of millions of Bangladeshis.”
Besides Dhaka, Uber has been providing its services to Bangladesh’s second largest city Chattogram, since April 12, 2018 and now has four products – UberX, UberMOTO, UberPREMIER and UberHIRE – available there.
Some key highlights of Uber’s operations in Bangladesh are as follows:
- Created livelihood opportunities for more than 100,000 driver partners
- Recorded the Highest Moto sign-ups with an average of 2,000 partner sign ups every week
- October 2018 was the busiest month
- On average, the Uber app is opened 155 times in a minute in Dhaka
- The total distance traveled since launch equals 206 times the distance to the Moon and back
- 22% of Dhaka’s population has used the Uber App atleast once
- Moto is more efficient than cars and moves 3 Kms faster per hour
- At 16 Km/hr Chattogram moves faster than Dhaka where average speeds are 14 Km/hr
- The Airport was the most visited destination followed by Gulshan 1 and Bashundhara City
- Riders in Dhaka were on an Uber trip for 10.2 million hours in total